Saturday, May 30, 2015

Interpretation of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s quote



People think that consistency is very important, but being consistent on ideas or values do not always make us perfect. Sometimes ideas has to change, we cannot use the same techniques and ideas from ten years back. In this quote, Emerson is trying to say that people who always have the consistency are narrow minded, and those people will be praised only by the followers. He even says that being consistent is following the shadow, or being the shadow on the wall. According to Emerson we should not just follow the old established ideas, but we should try to make our own and build up new ideas. If we are consistent on something today, then that might conflict tomorrow. Like Emerson said, being consistent do not take us anywhere else, we will be stuck on the same place with the same ideas, and same people.
I was born in Saudi Arabia, but now I am doing my bachelor degree at US University, and that is a big change for me. If I was consistent and did not want to move then I would not be in ISU right now. My mother wanted me to stay in my country, but my father and I wanted me to come to US for my study. I am doing very well on my study, and now my mother things that my decision of coming to US was the right one.
We should not be consistent, and we need to move on. I think being consistent is same as being an idle because we always have the same concept, and we never bother to find a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment